Here is compilation of top 15 “silly ” things that really happened in the world, while many are quite funny, some are quite embarrassing. Compilation by News9naija
1, In 2007, Scotland spent six months of research and $162,972 (£125,000) to create a new slogan that would boost tourism. They came up with “Welcome to Scotland.”
Source: Daily Rcord
2. Joan Miro painting was sold for $37,000,000 in 2012.
Joan Miro’s 1927 work Peinture (Etoile Bleue) has sold for more than £23.5 million in London, setting a new auction record for the Spanish painter. Below is painting.
3. Chinese man buys 99 iPhone 6s to propose to girlfriend on Single’s Day – only to be rejected
Source: Independent UK
4. Nigerian Police arrested and detained goat accused of armed robbery in 2009.
‘The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on patrol they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car. They pursued them. ‘However one of them escaped while the other turned into a goat,’ Kwara state police spokesman Tunde Mohammed said.
Source: Daily Mail
5. Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in 1911, which attracted more visitors to see the empty space than the actual painting itself.
But what really catapulted the small, unassuming portrait to international stardom was a daring burglary over 100 years ago.When Italian handyman Vincenzo Peruggia stole the Mona Lisa from the Louvre in 1911, he never could have guessed her absence would be the very thing that made her the most recognizable painting on the planet.
6. Man who robbed bank to get away from wife sentenced to home confinement.
Lawrence John Ripple handed a note to a bank teller in Kansas City demanding cash and warning he had a gun. Ripple took the money, $2,924, and went to sit in the lobby, where he told a guard he was the “guy he was looking for.”
Source: New York Post
7. The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) was founded on April Fool’s Day (April 1) in 1930.
Source: Nigerian Stories
8. The CIA spent millions of dollars installing spy equipment inside the body of a cat only to have it run over by a car on its first test mission.
When it came time for the inaugural mission, CIA agents released their rookie agent from the back of a nondescript van and watched eagerly as he set out on his mission. Acoustic Kitty dashed off toward the embassy, making it all of 10 feet before he was unceremoniously struck by a passing taxi and killed.
Source: The Atlantic
9. A Japanese soldier, Hiroo Onoda, stayed hidden for 29 years after WWII ended because he didn’t know the war was over.
10. In 1508, Autun, France pressed charges on rats for destroying barley crops. The lawyer representing the rats argued that the court’s summons wasn’t specific enough to his clients & that Autun’s cat population made it unsafe for his clients to come to court.The rats were acquitted.
11. Troy Leon Gregg was a death row inmate in Georgia. He escaped from prison in July, 1980, the night before his set date for execution, but died the following night in a bar fight in North Carolina.
12. Clement Vallandigham, a lawyer who, while trying to demonstrate how the victim might have accidentally shot himself, shot himself and died. He then won the case.
13. A man tried to rob a bank after paying $500 to a wizard to make him invisible.
The man’s ill-fated attempt to rob the bank started to go wrong after he entered the bank and started randomly snatching money from the hands of customers, before they decided to act quickly and overpower the thief.
The man told the court, ‘I made a mistake. I understand now what a big trick was played on me.’
Source: Factual Facts
14. In 2014, a man from Arizona stole a diamond worth $160k and traded it for $20 of weed.
Source: ABC News
15. A man was once accidentally released from prison 90yrs early due to clerical error. The Colorado man had started a family and held a steady job for several years between 2008 and 2014 before police realized their mistake and incarcerated him again.
Colorado’s House of Representatives unanimously endorsed a resolution on Friday, April 21, 2017 urging the governor to grant him clemency.
Source: National Post